Sunday, May 16, 2010

Motorcycles and Swimsuits

Learning to walk in Faith is dieing to self. I know this but man it is hard to put into practice. In every aspect of my life I am learning to walk in Faith, and you never know what God will bring. Today we had our trip meeting, and although things are coming together for our team, it has been difficult for me to not have an exact plan of action for our trip. Each meeting something different changes, and I have to remind myself that I need to just walk in Faith, know that God will provide.

An example of this, is plane tickets. I am flying over with our team leader Emily while the other families are going on Standby and Airmiles. Since I am the 'youngest' adult on the team (there are highschool girls and a middle school boy), I have no air miles so Emily has been graciously setting about to find me a ticket to fly with her. This has prompted us to leave one day earlier and return one day later to find a cheap enough ticket for us both to fly on. Normally my initial reaction to this would have been frustration that the tickets hadn't been bought yet. But God has been working on my heart, and I am dieing to myself, and was calm. I kept saying in my head "God knows the plans he has for me" and this team. Then I got excited thinking of the things we could do or people we could meet.

As I was coming home this afternoon and talking to my momma, a group of motorcycles paraded down my apartment complex. Intermixed with the reeving of motors you could hear kids playing at the pool across the street. This intermingling of sounds and commotions just reminded me of how walking in Faith, you never know what God will bring either challenge or gift. It is a challenge right now to not want to know everything he has planned for me in the coming months. To not want to plan and have what I want. To not want to give way to all that others are telling me and to please those who I love. But it has also been a gift to see how relinquishing control I am able to experience all that God is doing in the lives of my students, my friends, and the world. It is a gift to get to walk freely in the grace God has bestowed upon me and not carry the burdens of this fallen world. It is a gift to get to rest in the fact God does know his plans for me, and I am to be faithful and trust. I always thought that if I drove a motorcycle I would want a Honda Sports bike because of the speed you can get to. But watching the Harley's ride in, and around and up and down the street, I don't think I want a Honda but a Harley so that I can enjoy all that God has to offer.

“I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20

Praying for God's guidance for your life today. Trust and Obey.

1 comment:

cookiehawk77 said...

That's one of the joys and frustrations of following Christ -- you pray for guidance, make your plans, and then he changes them! His way is always better and shows provision only he can supply, but it sure forces us to rely on Him. But then, that's what we're supposed to do. Sad that I have to be forced into it! I can't wait to see what He does through you this summer!

Blessings!
Carol